Be The First To Know
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest news and stories in the interior design across the Middle East straight to your inbox
Winners of Middle East Design Competition announced
The International Interior Design Association (IIDA) announced the results of two design competitions on the first day of The Office Exhibition and The Hotel Show.
Cheryl Durst, executive vice president and CEO, IIDA said: “At IIDA, it is our mission to promote exceptional design worldwide. The projects and products selected in these two competitions are true reflections of design innovation and excellence and we hope that these serve as inspiration to all those who visit The Office Exhibition and The Hotel Show.”
The judges of the competitions consisted of a panel of design experts, including: Julio Braga, principal, IA Interior Architects, New York; Lewis Goetz, principal and vice president, Leo A Daily, Washington DC; and, Bruno Viterbo, managing director, Champalimaud, New York.
Launched earlier this year, ‘The Office Exhibition Interior Design Competition’ accepted entries from commercial fit-out projects in the Middle East over the last three years in the categories of corporate space, education, healthcare, hospitality, government, restaurant, retail and, fitness.
According to IIDA, the designers of the winning projects demonstrate an understanding of futuristic design and have used “creativity and ingenious techniques to deliver projects that are over and above the client’s brief.”
The overall ‘Best of Competition’ award was won by UAE-based design firm Studio M, for its design of community centre The Pavilion, Dubai. Its project also scooped the ‘Best of Category’ Award for best Cultural/Educational/Institutional Space.
The other companies recognised were:
• Sima Malak & Alssamoure Design Associates, KSA, Best of Category/Corporate Space – Large, for the Arcapita Building, Manama, Bahrain
• Naga Architects, Designers & Planners, UAE, Best of Category/Corporate Space – Small, for the French Trade Commission, Dubai, UAE
• Wilson Associates, UAE, Best of Category/Hotel, for the Armani Hotel, Dubai, UAE
• Draw Link Group, UAE, Best of Category/Restaurant, for Roberto’s Restaurant, UAE
The Middle East Office and Hospitality Product Design Awards hoped to recognise innovation, aesthetic appeal and functionality in product design from participating exhibitors at The Office Exhibition and The Hotel Show.
According to the judges, the winning products were selected for their sophisticated and minimalistic appearance.
The overall “Best of Competition” award was presented to Andreu World for its Sail chair. This high tech chair blends polypropylene and fiberglass allowing it to adapt its form to offer maximum comfort for the user.
Recipients of the best product awards in their respective categories were:
• Favaretto and Partner, Best of Category/Group Seating, for Marea
• Andreu World, Best of Category/Seating – Guest, for Woody Collection
• Andreu World, Best of Category/Seating – Stacking/Training, for Sail Chair
• Paratoner Designing, Best of Category/Seating – Benches, for Nar
• Flat Technology Limited, Best of Category/Accessories or Specialties – Operating Supplies or Amenities, for Flat Technology
• Bose UAE Trading LLC, Best of Category/Security/Technology – Entertainment Systems, for Bose CineMate 1 SR Home Theatre Speaker System
• EDW LINK SAS, Best of Category/Accessories or Specialties – Hardware/Decorative Metals or Plastics, for Cocoon and Stars Spheres
• WPC Corporation, Best of Category/Applied Finishes or Materials – Wallcoverings/Treatments, for Einwood
• Martex, Best of Category/Case Goods and Freestanding Furniture – Series/Collections, for Kyo
In addition to the best of category winners, IIDA awarded Honourable Mentions to a group of entrants for their interior design projects and products.
The winning entries of both competitions are now on display in Sheikh Saeed Halls 2 and 3 at the Dubai World Trade Centre until May 17 2012.