French jewelry brand Van Cleef & Arpels in collaboration with Tashkeel and Dubai Design Days have announced the opening of the fourth edition of The Middle East Emergent Designer Prize, enabling emerging designers in the region to showcase their work on a global level.
This year’s theme is Nature which aims to inspire designers to work with natural materials and forms that are indigenous to their immediate surroundings.
Designers are urged to create design objects that serve a functional purpose and are suitable to a contemporary lifestyle, incorporating influences from nature in both materials and structure.
“These objects may be fixed or may, like many natural forms, be adaptable to changing circumstances and conditions to offer an alternative form or function”, describes the release.
Applicants must submit a representation of their proposed projects either as sketches, renders or models.
The deadline for the submission is December 31 2015. The winner of the prize will receive a budget of AED 30,000 to produce the work as well as traveling allowance of AED 5,000 to attend Design Days Dubai 2016 where the winning design will be unveiled on the opening day, 13 March 2016.
Van Cleef & Arpels will also reward the winner with a five day trip to Paris to attend courses at the L’ecole Van Cleef & Arpels.
Last year’s prize was awarded to the Tile Table by Ivan Parati (pictured).
• The call is open to all artists and designers living in the Middle East to submit
an original design work.
• Previously exhibited or produced projects will not be accepted.
• Applicants can submit only one design proposal. Submissions must include digital
files (photos of maquettes, renderings and/or sketches) – a maximum of five images.
All images must be in high resolution JPEG or Tiff formats – 300dpi.
• Application forms and images must be submitted not later than Thursday 31 Dec. 2015.
• Shortlisted artists/designers will be informed by email by Thursday 13 January 2016.
• The total prize of AED 35,000 must cover:
o AED 30,000 for materials, production of the work, shipping costs to and from
Dubai (the designer may prefer to produce the work in Dubai).
o AED 5,000 for flights and accommodation to be present for the first 3 days of
Design Days Dubai.
• The artist/designer retains full ownership of the concept and final work.
• A completed application form together with digital files should be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: VAN CLEEF & ARPELS DESIGNER PRIZE 2016,
name of designer).
• For any enquiries please email: email@example.com
Application form is available here.