The organisers of The Office Exhibition have announced the winners of its Decade of Design Competition and Middle East Office Awards.
Presided over by the International Interior Design Association (IIDA), the awards recognise excellence in UAE workplace interior design projects and office product design. The award-winning entries are currently on display at the event at the Dubai World Trade Centre (May 17-19).
It is the first time in The Office Exhibition’s 10-year history that an international design association has presided over its awards programmes. The competition sought to identify the best commercial fit-out projects in the UAE over the last 10 years in the categories of corporate space, hotel and mixed-use buildings. According to IIDA, the design firms honoured for their projects evoke a sense of the future while incorporating beautifully restrained, yet worldly and luxurious palates.
Recognised as the best projects in their respective categories were:
- AK Design, UAE, Best of Category/Corporate Space – Small, for AL Mojil Investment
- HBA International, USA, Dubai Branch, Best of Category/Hotels, for the Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort
Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP, USA, Best of Category/Mixed Use Buildings, for the Public Areas at Residences of Burj Khalifa
Honourable mentions were awarded to:
- Jestico+ Whiles, UK, Honorable Mention/Hotels, for the Yas Hotel
- Draw Link Group, UAE, Honorable Mention/Hotels, for Jal Tower Hotel Dubai
Kim Nielsen, Design Director at AK Design said, “Winning the Decade of Design competition for best Corporate Small Space is of great importance to all of us at AK Design. We believe that ‘good’ design is the rational and timeless way in which we shape the space around us, while linking the design to the region and adding enjoyment to the end-users.”
The Middle East Office Awards sought to recognise innovation, function and outstanding aesthetic advancements in product design from participating exhibitors at The Office Exhibition. According to the judges, the winning products were selected for their sophistication and expressive nature, as well as for their crisp, clean and uncluttered lines.
The Total Office UAE on behalf of Orangebox won the Best of Category award for its CWTCH range of group seating. Portugal design house Guialmi scooped three Honourable Mentions for its Basilissa stackable chair in the category of Stacking/Training; Panca, a system of waiting chairs, in the category of Benches; and its L.System, an open plan executive desk range, in the category of Tables/Desks.
Siddharth Peters, Managing Director of The Total Office, distributor of Orangebox in the Middle East said, “We are delighted with the result. The Middle East Office Awards are a great way to find, highlight and reward product designs that are truly remarkable. The CWTCH high back sofa by Orangebox is a sophisticated and functional product that is a true reflection of collaborative workplace design solutions in 2011.”
The winning entries were celebrated at an official awards ceremony on day one of the show.
In addition to the best of category winners and honourable mentions for the Decade of Design Competition and The Middle East Office Awards, IIDA also recognised a select group of entrants with special merit awards. IIDA has congratulated this group with the Presidential Commendation Award for their exceptional interior design projects and products.
For the Decade of Design Competition:
- In Corporate Space Small: Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP, for Burj Khalifa – Level 153
- In Cultural/Institutional/Educational: Action Impact, UAE, for The Saadiyat Story
- In Healthcare: Arun Nalapat Architects, India, for Medcare Hospital LLC
- In Restaurants: Steve Leung Designers Ltd., China, for Mango Tree
· In Retail: Kinnersley Kent Design, UK, for Waitrose – Dubai Mall
· In Spas/Fitness/Wellness Centers: Wilson Associates, USA, for the spa at Atlantis – The Palm
- In Sporting Facilities: Dubai Sports City – Interior Design Dept., UAE, for Dubai International Cricket Stadium
For The Middle East Office Awards
- In Case Goods/Free-Standing Furniture: KI, USA, for Unite System
- In Education Seating: Allsteel, USA, for Inspire
- In Ergonomic Desk/Task Seating: Ofita Interiores S.A., Spain, for Iroha
- In Group Seating: HBF, USA, for Duna Lounge Series
- In Guest Seating: Bernhardt Design, USA, for Forest
- In Office Tables/Desks: Burotime Office Furniture Ltd. Sti., Turkey, for Stripe
- In Executive Tables/Desks: C+P Moebelsysteme GmbH & Co. KG, Germany, for Premio