Ellington Properties' Laura BieleckI explains how:
Set up your workspace:
- Divide your living space into more distinct zones; an office requires a dedicated space, even if it’s only a desk.
- Place your desk in a comfortable space within your home. Ideally near a window where you can catch a bit of sunlight and see the passing of time.
- If you have happy houseplants or fresh cut flowers arrange them within view of your desktop/laptop.
- If you have a good quality office desk chair you are already ahead of most working from home.
- An ergonomic chair will assist you in getting through long hours without back pain, numb legs or other workplace injuries.
- As an option, use pillows for below your bottom or your lower back, and a box or books on the floor to get your feet in the right position.
- A task lamp is a must for achieving optimal working conditions, especially in a home environment.
- If you have a pinboard, magnet board or even just blank wall space next to your desk, it would be an ideal place to recreate some of your real office space.
- Pin up schedules, phone numbers, notes etc. along with inspiration and photos of colleagues or office moments.
- Stack some books and magazines that you have been meaning to read.
- Have a blazer on the back of your chair or hanging on the wall next to your space in case you need to pop into a virtual meeting,
- Think carefully about what is behind you. Will your kids or spouse sneak up on you? Is the background clean and conducive to Zoom/TEAMS meetings?
Make a routine:
- First thing in the morning clean and disinfect your workspace. Make sure your phone, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair arms are all clean and ready.
- Put on some background music, get the room temperature/humidity just the way you like it.
- Make yourself a serving platter with all the great inspiring and energising items that will get you through your morning - a great coffee or tea in your favourite mug, healthy snacks and a large pitcher of water.
- Make a list of what you would like to achieve for the day in order of priority.
- Make sure you check in with your team and boss daily to ensure the flow of information, expected tasks and deadlines are all understood.
- Make sure to get up from your chair often, stretch, grab a coffee, check in with your family/friends etc.
- Choose a certain day or hour for extracurricular learning.
- Find your best time to do fitness.
Happy home working everyone!
Ellington Properties was founded in 2014 and has created communities in Downtown Dubai, Mohammed Bin Rashid City and Emirates Hills.